Saturday, September 16, 2006

A New Toy

Anybody that knows me knows I like gadgets. Doesn't matter if its techie gadget, stitching, knitting anything gadgety I like.

We (thats the Royal we) have been thinking about replacing the laptop for some time. We've had it for a couple of years and have never been really happy with it. It was always slow, even though all it ever did was go on the internet really. It had 2 hard drives in 2 years and was really noisy.

So, Ive done a bit of research and bought a few mags to help decide which one might be best. I considered an Apple one as well, even though I've never used and Apple pc or laptop. The more I read, the more they seemed the most reliable, so, thats what we've done. Bought an Apple MacBook.

So far so good. Weve got an Apple store in Sheffield and the assistant was about the best one we've seen when we've bought something like this. He knew we'd never used an Apple before so he gave us some advice and a demo lasting about 15 minutes. Usually, you go and buy something like this and they try and pressure you into buy extra cover and never really explain anything about the product you're about to spend so much money on.

When we got it home, setting up was easy. Turned it on. The assistant had already registred the laptop in our name. It picked up our wireless connection straight away. That was it. Done. It took less than 5 minutes. We bought a pc a few months ago and that took much longer to set up. There were a few updates to download, which is to be expected as software changes so quickly.

For the first time ever, we're wireless. The laptop before was always going through the mains, the battery life wasn't very good. It had a wireless mouse, but needed to be plugged into a USB (1) port, so that was the 2 wires. Then the 'wireless' thing that got us on the internet was also on a wire plugged into the other USB port.

Now, we have no wires. Only the one that plugs in is the mains (which is like a magnet that goes in the socket), and the battery lasts much longer. Its got bluetooth, so I can transfer pics from my phone straight to it, and music from the laptop to the phone!

I hope its not going to let us down, so far though, we're happy. Even hubby has been using it and he hardly used the other one.

This means I haven't done much knitting since Thursday. I've still got a half done sock to do, a Zombie and to start another sock to match the one I finished on holiday. I was also supposed to be starting a knitalong on a forum for another pair of the 'Fetching' wrist warmers from Knitty. But, I can't find the yarn. I'll have to have another good rumage round.

Oh, one last thing. I finished Lego Star Wars 2 on the XBox 360. It was good and probably the only game i've finished, although there is other stuff, I have completed all the episodes.

Thats it, time to go. Hopefully I'll have done something practical next time I post!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home